Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The tribe of Extreme... has defecated

I wasn't a huge ECW mark back in the day, but I certainly appreciated the passion and idea behind ECW. I've always been a big Paul Heyman fan and I like his philosophy of what a wrestling show should be. But I'm not one of these crybabies complaining about the new ECW because it's nothing like the original.

No, I'm complaining about ECW because it's terrible. Terrible on its own merits that have nothing to do with the old ECW. It's just a terrible wrestling show.

Granted, it's not terrible enough that I've stopped watching... yet. For me, I watch for C.M. Punk and the possibility that there will be a good match or a new talent emerging. Elijah Burke seems to have potential. Other than that, nada. I like Rob Van Dam and Sabu okay, but not enough to really commit to watching.

That being said, last night was the first ECW show of the new year and I thought it was a bit of an improvement. No Big Show match helps, as at least Lashley is fast and exciting in the ring. I like the "main event feel" they create with the in-ring introductions.

Now, they opened the show with a Test promo. This wasn't terrible, but it was interrupted 3 times with video clips. I understand they want to catch people up on the storyline, but I think it takes a much more talented talker than Test to avoid killing momentum with all those interruptions.

Overall, I think ECW could work as a classic hour-long wrestling show. Matches and promos. That's it. No backstage bits where the wrestlers magically ignore the camera they were talking to a minute before. No crazy high concept comedy skits based on the news of the day. Just some wrestlers cutting promos and wrestling. That (with Smackdown!) might provide a nice alternative to the high "sports entertainment" value of RAW. And if that's the plan, I say go for it.

But this is the WWE. There is no plan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home