Thursday, August 24, 2006

Insert Title Here

Since nothing of consequence happened on ECW this week, I want to write a little bit about title value in wrestling. Back in February on Wrestlecrap Radio, the always-entertaining RD and Blade had an interview with Vince Russo. When confronted with the slingshotting around and de-valuing of titles, Russo's response was basically "Why would you care who the champion of fake fighting is?"

Good point, Vince. I mean it's not that I actually care care who the champion of fake fighting is. But if you're watching, say, a heist movie about a group of guys going after 100 million dollars, you've got to buy that it's valuable to the characters, right? Otherwise, why invest yourself emotionally in it?

As long as I've been watching, the WWE has been using the main titles (WWE, World Heavyweight and now ECW) to a) signify who the main eventers or b) set up feuds with said main eventers. Right now, Edge and King Booker are essentially holding the belts until Cena and Batista can win them back in an emotionally satisfying way (hopefully). That's fine - those are the big stars. It's no different than Austin-Rock, Michaels-Hart or Hogan-Savage.

But it's the "lesser" titles that have lost their value and I think that's a shame. Right now, Johnny Nitro is the Intercontinental Champion. I don't have a particular problem with Johnny Nitro, but with the fact that he won it so quickly upon coming to RAW. Same with the Highlanders (who are about to win the tag titles from the Spirit Squad). Again, I think they're fine, but I'm surprised that RAW has shown the restraint of holding off 3 whole weeks before putting the straps on their new team. It's gotten to the point where it's like "Welcome to the WWE - here's your title."

It's just my opinion, but most of the time (I like flukey surprises too) I'd like to see the IC title around the waist of a guy who's spent a year getting over with the crowd and then finally rewarded with a title. There are 52 weeks of television to fill - why not wrench out every drop of drama and excitement you can?

I just feel like the writers are missing out on some good, meaningful feuds over these titles. Don't get me wrong - I like wacky, out-there Vince Russo plots. But I also like old school Jim Cornette "two guys going after a title because it means something to them" feuds.

The title itself doesn't mean anything to me, Vince. It means something to the characters. And like any good television, good characters going after their goals draws me in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home