Tuesday, August 15, 2006

RAW 8.14.06

Well, this is a wrestling blog, so I suppose I should share some thoughts on last night's RAW, eh? I'm sort of still finding my stroke here, so I'm not sure if this is going to be one of those "recap" type of blogs. Most of the recaps I read on the 'net are just complaints about how much they hate the WWE now. I just don't get that - if you're not enjoying it, stop watching it. It's not that hard, really.

But still - I read them, so I guess I'm party to the system. Anyway, if you didn't watch the show, check out the recap here. I'll wait. (pause) Do do do...

Okay, welcome back. Overall, I enjoyed the show. It was mostly a Summerslam buildup show, so no new angles were started, but there were some fun moments. Some highlights:

- Once again, Mick Foley stole the show in my mind. His backstage promo felt real and the expression on his face when he almost crushed Flair's head with the steel steps was downright scary. Although he clearly doesn't have his fastball anymore, he is finally harnessing whatever made Cactus Jack so special.

I remember when he was doing the "3 faces of Foley" gimmick, he'd pull out Cactus Jack as a last resort. You could have just seen both Mankind and Dude Love earlier in the show, but when Cactus walked down the aisle, you were like "Aw shoot! Here come Cactus Jack, maaaaan!" It's like you knew the bullhonkey was going DOWN. And it was all in Foley's facial expression. That's why Foley is still #1 all time for me.

- Speaking of Micks I like, Mickie James continues to impress. Sexy, fun to watch and skilled in the ring. I hope she gets another angle where she gets to shine and be on my TV on Mondays.

- I think Carlito looked great in the main event. I'm not nuts about the Carlito-Trish partnership, but this guy could be the next Rock. He's got a unique personality, charisma and works equally well as a face and a heel. My prediction: Carlito is a main eventer. Of course, I predicted that Buh Buh Ray Dudley would be the next Mick Foley and that Adrian Zmed would be the breakout star of the movie Bachelor Party.

- Who knew that the DX/McMahon angle would be used to give Umaga the rub? Stop your complaining, IWC jerks!

- One complaint: I must admit that I think the booking of the Spirit Squad has been mishandled. I have no problem with 5 guys that gang up on people to win, but getting crushed by only two guys in DX doesn't work for me. How am I supposed to take any of these guys as a threat now? Unless they all get completely repackaged (i.e. Jamal/Umaga), the fan will always remember that Kenny couldn't beat Shawn Michaels with FOUR of his friends helping him. I'll leave the issue of the value of the tag team titles to some other time (man, I have a lot to say about this crap, huh?)

- How could I be bored by hot women in wet t-shirts? I don't get how they've managed to make something like that uninteresting to me. Didn't it seem like the one-minute "water fight" lasted slightly longer than a 60 minute King Mabel-Bastion Booger ironman match?

I think the reason the Diva search isn't working for me is that it's an unscripted "reality" part in the middle of a fictional, scripted show. As a result, it's more poorly paced and uneventful than the rest of the show. It's like if in the middle of NYPD Blue, they cut to a bunch of real cops in NY - sure, there might be something interesting going on, but chances are they'd just be doing paperwork or eating donuts or trying to milk that last slice of sympathy poon out of 9/11.

- The highlight of the show for me was definitely the Hulk Hogan/fake Hulk Hogan brawl. You've got Hogan (age: approximately 3,576 years young) awkwardly hobbling around the ring with a non-wrestler while a crowd looks on in disinterested silence. It. Was. AWESOME. Man, I love live TV and hate Hulk Hogan. Anything that makes him look ridiculous is a-ok by me. I will get into a whole thing why I hate Hogan at a later date, but for now he's embarrassing himself on TV. And fellas - that's entertainment.

My plans for actual real life fell through tonight, which means I get to watch ECW on Sci Fi. A three-way ladder match with Kurt Angle, Rob Van Dam and Sabu plus Foley/Flair and another CM Punk match (I like the excitement he's creating, but I'm not sure if it's hype quite yet). Again - I don't know why people are complaining so much about the current product. I'm looking forward to that show. And YOU are looking forward to my thoughts on it. Aren't you? Aren't you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home