Tuesday, January 16, 2007

RAW... IS... GOOD?

Well what do you know? RAW was actually really good from beginning to end last night. I don't get much into the backstage politics, but it sort of felt like someone new got the book and decided to undo the sins of the past. The first Triple H-less RAW went off great. It felt like a new beginning of sorts. Here's what I liked about the show:

- Rated RKO: Ladies and gentlemen, I think we've finally got our top heels. Edge, as always, was fantastic. He's really become an MVP on that show. While Orton on his own doesn't excite me, I think they're a great pair. One thing they have that's been missing from heels is that they're dangerous. They can be cowardly at times, but they also have to pose a real threat to the good guys.

Last night, Rated RKO was completely in their element. They started the show by dragging out a bloodied-up Hacksaw Jim Duggan. Looks like someone has been watching their Hitchcock - the violence that one doesn't see is always much more horrific than the violence one does.

While I thought the Duggan bit was good, I absolutely LOVED when Rated RKO made security confiscate all the D-X signs. What a great and innovative way to piss off a crowd. It was simple and original - a winning combination that we haven't seen on WWE in a while.

- Vince's promo: There's been something bothering me about the WWE lately: it seems like it's trying to be something it's not. As I mentioned in my Cryme Tyme post, I got kind of a nauseated feeling when WWE.com tried to get out ahead of the inevitable negative press by calling Cryme Tyme "a Saturday Night Live-style parody." Eeesh. I don't even like when Saturday Night Live does Saturday Night Live-style parodies. Then, in a blatant rip-off of the brilliant Assy McGee, WWE.com started a "Mr. McMahon's Ass" cartoon. When I saw that, I thought "Is this really what Vince McMahon thinks his audience wants to see?" The brand as a whole was on the wrong track.

After Rosie vs. Donald went over like a fart in church last week, it looks like Vince finally got the message. And in a stroke of genius, he made his character the one that has no respect for the fans, saying "You'll like what I tell you to like." And then Carlito comes out and says "People don't want skits. People want to see a fight." Overall, it was a very clever way for the failed sitcom writers behind the scenes to admit that they give up with all the sketch comedy crap. Hopefully.

Remember the old expression: if it ain't broke, don't make a cartoon of your ass.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home